Tuesday, June 4, 2013

enzyme cleaner

Found this recipe while searching for good earth-wise and earth freindly links to include on our enviornmental sustainability webpage at work. Thought I'd capture this one and give it a try at home as well.

Citrus Enzyme Cleaner Recipe

May 16, 2012 by 68 Comments

citrus-enzyme-spray-ecokaren
Have you heard of citrus enzyme? Me neither until I read about a month ago how it cleans a.n.y.t.h.i.n.g. and everything.

And you know me – I want easy peasy but natural ways to clean. I even made my own soft scrub for scrubbing my bathtub because I hate the smell of commercial brands of scrubbers.

So when I read that a citrus enzyme can basically clean anything, I had to try it. But then I heard that it required 3 months of fermentation! That's like a whole trimester of pregnancy! For a baby, I'd understand but not for a cleaner. Besides, my house can't wait that long.

Then, I wondered if I can cut that time down by forcing it to ferment faster.

Hmmm….

Well, after weeks of tweaking here and there, this is how I made my citrus enzyme.

You'll Need:

  • 2 Liter Wide Mouth Bottle -I used an old orange juice bottle from a neighbor's recycling bin. Yeah, I do that a lot – steal from neighbor's recycling bin. I chose this brand because it had a wide mouth and it was easier to squeeze the peels in.
  • 2 C or Enough citrus fruit peels to fit half the bottle. Oranges, Lemons, Lime,
  • 1/2 C Brown Sugar (Note: a reader said she used white sugar and it was fine too.)
  • 1 Tsp of active yeast
  • 1 Liter of water
  • Funnel – to add brown sugar
  • Strainer or cheese cloth
  • 1 C Apple Cider Vinegar AFTER the enzyme is done fermenting

Instruction:
Pick a bottle that has a wide mouth and make sure to follow the proportions in this recipe. Do NOT double the recipe in this bottle. Chop up any citrus fruit scraps into chunks that will fit into the opening of the bottle. Add water, sugar, yeast, and shake for about 30 seconds. Then, close the cap LOOSELY so the trapped air can escape and not build up in the bottle.

You'll see the foam on the top in a day or two because of yeast fermentation. Shake the bottle daily for the first few days to mix the yeast and let out the air.

fermenting-citrus-enzyme-ecokaren

Do you see the bulging right side from gas build up?

citrus-enzyme-cleaner-ecokaren

After about 2 weeks, the enzyme will look opaque. Strain the pulp and the peel.

strain-citrus-enzyme-ecokaren

Add apple cider vinegar to the liquid and store the liquid in a glass jar. You can create an all-purpose cleaner spray bottle with 1:10 ratio to water and clean away to your heart's content!

Or, you can use the concentration amounts that are appropriate for other cleaning uses.

citrus-enzyme-spray-ecokaren

Here is how to use this enzyme in laundry detergent laundry detergernt WITHOUT Borax and dishwasher detergent dishwashing soap WITHOUT Borax.

Why bother with citrus enzyme? What'd the big deal?

My main purpose for making citrus enzyme is to add it to my dishwasher. And I'll tell you why tomorrow. But believe me when I tell you – this citrus enzyme cleaner WORKS on so many other things, in addition to dishwashing!!

And, citrus enzyme cleaners is great because it's:

1. Natural
2. Cheap since you are using up kitchen scraps
3. Effective
4. Easy to make

It is great:

  1. for dishes and laundry (use 1/4 cup of enzyme)
  2. for washing bathrooms and toilets. grime comes off easily (1 part enzyme to 10 parts water)
  3. for removing stubborn stains and odors (colored fabrics and floors-used undiluted)
  4. to clean vegetables and fruits (1 part enzyme to 10 parts water)
  5. clear blockages in kitchen sinks and drains (use concentrated or blended pulp/sludge of enzyme)
  6. as a natural insect repellent (use undiluted) for ants, cockroaches
  7. for mopping floors (1 part enzyme to 20 parts water)
  8. as fertilizer for plants (use 1 part enzyme to 20 parts water, or use the leftover mop water)
  9. as a skincare product, e.g. facial cleanser or toner (1 part enzyme to 2 parts water)
  10. wash cars – cars will look as if they have just been polished! (1 part enzyme to 20 parts water)

Convinced yet? Thought so. More reasons to eat citrus fruits!

No comments:

Post a Comment