Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Big Red

Big Red was severely dehydrated yesterday (at least that's what I think was wrong woth her) when I got home from work. She. Wasn't really responsive and had ants all over her. I put her in a cool bath of water, removed ants and began drenching her with syringe in her beak. Her legs wouldn't move except to shake (ie tremors) and her feet were clinched and cold. I held her like a babe for about another 1 1/2 hrs and continued to give her water. We put some livestock Revitalyte in the water as well. She eventually could walk again a little bit and would hold her head up on her own. It was such a wonderful (albeit bittersweet) experience to see the impact of helping another creature merely out of instinct no vet knowledge and a lot of love and hoping! I've already lost my beautiful Scarlett chicken to the dog so I was so happy to be able to help Red! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment